Jan 21, 2009

Not Your Mama's Hummus

I went to the store today to get our regular groceries. Spent a fair amount of time drooling over the (WAAAY OVERPRICED) hummus. I ADORE hummus. But, it must be a "big person" thing, as my kids hate it. With only me (and MAYBE DH) to eat it, I just can't justify the cost for that little tub. So, came home and did the next best thing. I geared myself up for a flash of domestication and made my own. Here it is:

Not Your Mama's Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 C applesauce
few drips sesame oil
3/4 tea apple pie spice
1/3 C water
honey to sweeten a bit more (maybe about a tablespoon? Didn't measure, sorry)

Throw it all into a blender and blend until nice and smooth. Leave out the water if you want it thicker, but I like my hummus a bit saucier (is that a word?)

I REALLY REALLY like how this turned out! I didn't have the Tahini (as I refuse to pay so much for what ya get!) so I improvised with the sesame oil. Seems to have worked just fine. I'm sure hummus natives will lynch me for doing a sweet version, but, hey...Beggars can't be choosers.

And, I really think my kids will go for this one! YEAH! Can't wait for dinner now. I'm HUNGRY!

3 comments:

  1. My son has loved hummus since he was a wee one. He would sit in his high chair and eat it by the handful. Needless to say, I cannot afford the little tubs because they are gone in two days! I also make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Do you have any recipes you'd like to share?
    My darn kids wouldn't even TRY it! GRRRR Guess I have a lot of apple-cinnamon hummus to eat now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this one! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete